Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Designer Diaries : Catheryn Dallenbach from Some Kind Of Pretty




  Etsy is online marketplace that features thousands of independently owned shops from across the globe. You have the ability to purchase unique designs made the artists themselves or even have a custom order made ! What makes Etsy special unlike other online shopping websites is its vibrant community of artists and buyers. Not only do they discuss business topics but also support each other in many ways. If you have not heard of or visited Etsy , I suggest you browse around a little bit. You will never look at online shopping or retail shopping the same way !

  This week, I had the joy of interviewing Catheryn Dallenbach from the refreshingly sweet handmade jewelry shop : Some Kind Of Pretty.


Tell us a little bit about yourself.

 Well where to begin!! I am newly married to the love of my life! So I am adjusting to the life of a newly, which isn't half bad...lol.. I am also a twin! Her and I are the youngest of 6 kids. Everyone in my family is very crafty. I have a sister who pretty much rocks at making anything! I have another sister who can decorate the most beautiful cakes and my twin sister can crochet/knit up a storm! My mom also can sew just about anything. My two brother and dad are good at the manly stuff, i.e. Cars, yards, and building stuff. So needless to say, at a young age I was on the hunt for my talent.

Congrats ! Talent in the visual arts are definitely in genes !  

  How did you get started making/designing jewelry ? What was the first piece you created ?

 My oldest sister gave a beaded bobby pin kit when I was about 8. This is what sparked my passion. From that kit I made TONS of beaded bobby pins, and none of them matched. After I made about 30, she decided to take me to a yard sale at her church. With my twin being an awesome sales-girl, I was able to sell the majority of my bobby pins. But I figured they sold because they couldn't say no to my sister!

I am sure they loved the hairpins also !

 Are there any other art forms/hobbies that you enjoy ?

 Besides making jewelry, I also enjoy numerous other crafts. Usually home decor crafts. If I see something in a store or online that I really like, I usually find some way to make it.  I also enjoy baking. I always tell people that baking is easy, just follow the recipe and you are good! My husband never tires of this Banana Bread that I make. So easy and so delicious. Besides DIY and baking, my other love is Antique shopping. I require almost weekly trips to the antique stores. I love learning about history and the way of life through antiques!

Banana bread is absolutely addictive when it is made with love ! Antique shopping is absolutely inspiring and each item has a distinctive story to tell .

 You have a very feminine and sweet collection of jewelry. I love the earthy tones and bright pop of colors in your pictures. Do you have any new pieces that you are working on?

I enjoy playing with the juxtaposition of earthy and bright. Right now, I am in the works of updating my Floss Bracelets to a new design and offering more bracelets. Some pieces that I will also soon be adding are very bright and bold. I love playing with the idea of the Simple Statement Necklace. I have necklace that is bold but without being chunky and heavy. When is comes to my jewelry, especially earrings, I want it to be something that can be worn comfortably. I hate falling in love with a pair of earrings, just to find out they weigh 5 lbs. So I am always very aware of weight and functionality.

I agree, design must not only be aesthetically pleasing but functional !  

Thank you Catheryn Dallenbach for this delightful interview ! Stop by her shop and check out her lovely jewelry designs that undoubtedly make sweet gifts .

Social Media Links and Contact Information
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Some-Kind-of-Pretty
Twitter:  @SomeKindPretty
Etsy shop :  www.SomeKindOfPretty.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment